Thursday, April 15, 2010

What is Wrong with Men?

So it's not news that a lot of celebrity males are having issues in their relationships. I have to say I am so tired of hearing that these guys have "sex addictions" I am sure there's a such thing, but I feel like men are using this way too much lately. I find it hard to believe they all have a "problem." I don't get why they bother getting married if they know they like a lot of bootie. I'm starting to lose all faith in the institution that is marriage.

I am recently divorced myself, and it was my doing and it's not something I'm proud of, nor did I ever see myself as being someone who is divorced, but it is what it is and now I am moving on. I'm in another monogamous relationship and am quite happy and things are getting to a point where marriage has been spoken about and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It just seems the divorce rate is so high and people have such issues staying faithful anymore. I'm honestly trying to figure out why people even bother getting married in the first place. I know couples who have been together for quite a long time, they're not married, no kids, just living together and while they're not the best relationship I've ever seen, it seems to work. So what is it about people that we have to go through this rigamarole and spend all this money and effort to get some certificate that proves we did this and the tax breaks. What does marriage really mean anymore?

I don't want to go through this mess again... it's sad and painful and expensive. Is that what's keeping me from doing it again or am I just trying to really understand this whole "til death do us part" stuff? Am I making excuses to not get married? Do I just want a pretty ring? Do I want to avoid the whole "boyfriend" term? I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do or feel at this point in my life. I see so many people in unhappy marriages and relationships and I don't understand why they do it. I hear all the time that marriage requires work and I'm thinking, I have a job, why do I want another one that doesn't even pay me. I feel that if you truly find that one person that makes you happy and makes you want to live life, then it shouldn't be a lot of work. I also don't expect there to be rainbows and puppies everyday, but seriously... why put up with mediocre?

Then I see these people who get married over and over (Larry King, Elizabeth Taylor) and I am so perplexed. What?! Obviously something is wrong with these people. Why on Earth would you want to marry someone who's been married more than a couple times and on the same note, why do they keep wanting to get married when they can't seem to make it work? I guess I just don't understand why we try so hard to have these lifetimes with one person when there are so many people out there. I'm not advocating sleeping with everyone who walks through the door, but maybe we're being unrealistic in our expectations of life and our roles as men and women. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment