Thursday, April 29, 2010

Driving is like Coloring, You Need to Stay in the Lines!

If I almost die one more time this week, I'm going to get really angry.

Twice this week I was "this close" to a collision with another vehicle and there's no way either of these situations was my fault. I'm a good driver and I'm not just trying to toot my own horn, haha, get it? Ok, sorry, anyway, so I almost got into a head on because this person was not even on his side of the road and just kept coming like I wasn't even there. I actually braced for impact that's how close he was before he finally looked up and stopped. I about peed myself. Then there was this woman who was in a turn lane about to turn right when she decided she wanted to go straight as I was getting over myself. Thank God I saw her coming because she was about to make herself comfortable in my passenger side door at any moment.

I'm not trying to say I've never accidentally cut someone off or run a "pink" light, but I do think I'm more aware than your average driver, and more careful. I used to drive city buses for pete's sake, so I have picked up some better driving habits than most. I just can't seem to figure out what has happened to drivers in Maryland though. This isn't to say all states don't have horrible drivers, because they do, but since I'm living here now, I have to endure the idiocy on a daily basis now.

I really think these people believe they are the only ones on the road. They drift all over the place, they rarely stay on their side of the lines, the just merge in and out without signaling, without looking; it's horrendous. I have my son with me a lot of the time and that's what scares me more... he's too little to be in an accident and if someone's laziness and rudeness ever caused an accident while he was in the car I'd be in jail for killing someone.

My biggest pet peeve is not signaling. Oh my-lanta... you have a freakin' turn signal; it takes a whopping two seconds to turn it on, use it!!! It's just a courtesy that has fallen by the wayside obviously and it's not only rude, but potentially dangerous. The biggest offenders... Mercedes owners. I figured a fancy car like that would HAVE to come with turn signals, but from the obvious lack of usage, I'm thinking they've left them out on those cars. Such a shame to have spent all that money and not even get turn signals!

Do I have road rage? Sure, a lot of people do nowadays and I'm not sure where it's stemmed from and it's not a good thing, but if people would just slow down, realize they have to share the road, and just use basic common sense, we wouldn't have all these issues. I don't know how Noah doesn't have a worse vocabulary than he does as I know I've slipped here and there with my "french" when encountered with a poor motorist. I just don't understand where these people picked up all these bad habits and it's unfortunate because they will most likely teach their kids these bad habits as well. Driving really is a privilege and we act like it's a God given right in Northern Virginia. It's out of control. People are very brave behind the wheel of a multi-ton vehicle and that scares me. Get off of your phone, stop messing with your make-up, stop yelling at your kids, and pay attention and drive like your life depends on it, because mine does thanks and I'd appreciate you not trying to kill me today.

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you that you don't have the monopoly on idiot drivers, you just have more per capita perhaps. I had a good chuckle about your pet peeve. Just yesterday, on my way to the dentist, I was talking about how I HATE people that don't use the turn signal. I've been known to purposely not get over and watch them run off the road if I've been watching them in my rear view mirror or seen them ahead of me being a rude so and so. It does my vindictive heart good. :) Have a lovely commute!

    ReplyDelete